Friday, February 13, 2015

To What is Lovely

It's not everyday that you get to hang out with a great lady, but today was one of those days.  Here's a poem that captures afternoons at this wooden palace on a beaver pond, and how the present becomes a present:

Snow Geese
Mary Oliver

Oh, to love what is lovely, and will not last!
       What a task
           to ask

of anything, or anyone,

yet it is ours,
    and not by the century or the year, but by the hours.

One fall day I heard
  above me, and above the sting of the wind, a sound
I did not know, and my look shot upward; it was

a flock of snow geese, winging it
    faster than the ones we usually see,
and, being the color of snow, catching the sun

so they were, in part at least, golden.  I

held my breath 
as we do
sometimes
to stop time
when something wonderful
has touched us

as with a match
which is lit, and bright,
but does not hurt
in the common way, 

but delightfully,
as if delight
were the most serious thing
you ever felt.

The geese 
flew on.
I have never
seen them again.

Maybe I will, someday, somewhere.
Maybe I won't.
It doesn't matter.
What matters
is that, when I saw them,
I saw them
as through the veil, secretly, joyfully, clearly.

"As if delight were the most serious thing you ever felt"... and perhaps it is.  After all, "light" is caught up in the word itself - and we all know we do a little bit better with a little more light, from both the sky and people.  

Here's to all the light and lights in our lives - "what matters is that, when I saw them, I saw them". 

I bought the brightest ones.

Neon flowers

White roses

Whooosh

Up to the window

Higher than a compost pile

Walk on

The wind whipped up the snow at just the right time.

Tracks of something...

He's got the right idea

Pretty

Hello.

No comments:

Post a Comment