Saturday, February 14, 2015

For Cody



I've heard the word "honor" used in certain circles more and more - that we want to honor another person with our words and actions, and honor ourselves, too.

Today, I want to honor my friend's brother who died last Saturday of a heroin addiction.  His name was Cody.  I didn't know him, but I do know that the severity of addiction touches the lives of many people.  Unfortunately, the disease is stigmatized - like so many things - and it becomes difficult for people to get out of it, for a variety of reasons.  Treatment options are not as plentiful as they should be, and the social ramifications of one leaving their community behind in order to approach and carry sobriety may not always be fully acknowledged or understood.  

The Book of Common Prayer has a prayer for specific instances, one of which is For the Victims of Addictions.  Whether one believes in God or not, the prayer seems to honor and gather hope for the ones who find themselves caught up in it:

O blessed Lord, you ministered to all who came to you: Look with compassion upon all who through addiction have lost their health and freedom.  Restore to them the assurance of your unfailing mercy; remove from them the fears that beset them; strengthen them in the work of their recovery; and to those who care for them, give patient understanding and persevering love.  Amen

I'm not able to attend the funeral, as there is yet another blizzard joining us this evening and I have developed a healthy PTSD toward snow now (hope I'll overcome that fear).  But as they say in yoga, I'm sending good vibes from my heart to my friend, her family and everyone gathered there to honor her younger brother.  As a fellow older sister who has a younger brother, I can only imagine the depth of this loss.  We remember you today, Cody, and will continue to as you rest in peace and are loved on this Valentine's Day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment