Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Waffles



Snowstorms are endearing when you have nowhere you need to go.  I awoke to some shouting in the driveway and thought, "Is that my landlord?"  Next, I heard a knock on my door - it was my roommate saying we had to head outside to move our cars for the plow truck.    

Ah, it was my landlord.

I can't say we were thrilled to be woken up - more like, not thrilled - but we did make fresh waffles afterwards, with coffee, fresh whipped cream, maple syrup and blueberries.  We listened to the Acoustic Covers playlist on Spotify and my roommate finished painting the entryway while us other roommates tried to do grad school work ("tried" being the key word).  We heated up the root vegetables we had cooked last night (with this recipe) and nibbled on the brownies we had also made, throughout the day.  We were thankful to be inside, and not driving around all day and night plowing out driveways, and not out in the storm in any other way, shape, or form.  Thank you, plow people.

Homemade waffles make it better.  Coffee makes it better.  Bourbon hot toddies make it better.

Pride and Prejudice makes it better.  Downton Abbey makes it better.

Being together makes it better. 

That's the good stuff: people making it better. 

Blizzards whip that up in us.


No comments:

Post a Comment