Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Pennsylvania White and Blue


I've done a lot of driving this past year, from New Hampshire to Oregon and back (and other road trips in between, before and after).  I've learned how to take photos from the driver's seat - which is something I wouldn't necessarily recommend (may cause you to almost find yourself in a ditch or another car).  I love my car and my camera; my two favorite possessions (or in the top ten, at least).  I didn't always appreciate the Pennsylvania farmland scenery that I've driven across many times - I used to think of it as the same blah farmland - but now I really love it.  I find it peaceful and calming, especially in the winter - the white really helps the farmland's complexion.  It makes it sparkle.

I love it when the blue sky is out so bright and mixes with those purple tones with puffy white clouds.  There was a moment when I was caught in a snow cloud, suddenly surrounded by gray, unable to see very far in front of me.  It was that kind of weather that your windshield wipers make worse (dang it!).  I tried to clean my window, but the water would ice up.  It brought me back to the part of winter that I deeply dislike: driving in the bad weather, walking in the bad weather, and shoveling the bad weather.  But soon enough, I was beyond the cloud and back in the bright blue sky sunshine again (bizarro weather - reminds me of Scotland).

There are a ton of big trucks on the PA roads and I am confused as to how one can actually go 55 mph in some of those parts - nobody is going that slow (that I can tell) - and there are cops everywhere.  There was one part of the road where the traffic abruptly slowed up.  I could see that something was in the road, and I wondered if it was a car (hoping that it wasn't).  People seemed to just be going around it, so I figured it couldn't involve people.  As I got closer, I saw that it was two giant wheels unhinged from half of a truck's trailer bed!  It was surreal to see such a large object sitting in the middle of the road.  I was glad that I hadn't been driving by the truck at the moment that this part of his trailer somehow fell off.  The rest of the truck seemed to be fine and was pulled over to the side of the road, the driver looked like he was on the phone inside, probably wondering what the heck he was going to do... it was crazy.

I kept chugging along, listening to my tunes and watching the sky, taking photos and the like... finally returning to the other side of the Delaware river and sprinting from the car to our house.  Another successful journey through PA and little road trip to a dear old friend all finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment