Sunday, April 5, 2015

Eastery Blanketing of an Old Woman

Pink Blanket Time

Gang's all here: heater, blanket, water, and tea, hunched over a laptop.  I might as well be 94, just like my grandfather.  The pink blanket is out - always the signal that Sarah will not be moving for awhile.  This means either she is watching Downton Abbey, or...

... she is couch-bound with a cold.  

It was bound to happen - naturally, with the changing of the seasons.  What can one expect but to suddenly feel their eyes close over and the sticky dribble drabble of nasal fluid slide down the back of one's throat.  Delicious. 

The perfect remedy?  Chocolate and peanut butter cake smuggled in by baker-roommate, obviously.  Ironically, she had been baking them all day at her bakery only to come home to our other roommate baking one.  

What ARE the chances?!

Luckily, my blanket resembles the soft pink shade of an Easter egg.  Ripe for the season.  I just need a bunny and an Easter basket. 

In the spirit of one of my favorite old ladies, Lady Grantham, I shall summon her wisdom:

Vulgarity is no substitute for wit.

I am a woman, I can be as contrary as I choose.

Everyone goes down the aisle with half the story hidden. 

We are allies my dear, which can be a good deal more effective. (as oppose to friends)

I don't dislike him, I just don't like him.  Which is quite different. 

I do hope I'm interrupting something. 

Don't be defeatist, dear, it's very middle class.

One can't go to pieces with the death of every foreigner.  We'd all be in a constant state of collapse whenever we opened a newspaper.  

Sir Richard, life is a game, where the player must appear ridiculous.

She's so slight that a real neckline would flatten her. 

Just because you're an old widow, I see no reason to eat off a tray.

There can be too much truth in any relationship.

If I were to search for logic, I would not look for it among the English upper class.

I wonder your halo doesn't grow heavy.  It must be like wearing a tiara around the clock. 

Wars have been waged with less fervor.

There's nothing simpler than avoiding people that you don't like.  Avoiding one's friends, that's the real test. 

Isobel: It's only me.
LG: I always feel that greeting betrays such a lack of worth. 

Switzerland has everything to offer, except perhaps conversation.  And one can learn to live without that.

He's one of the most unconvincing fiancés that I've ever come across. 

***


Cheers to wisdom from real friends and story friends and those who make all things new. 

Happy Easter!


No comments:

Post a Comment