Thursday, July 18, 2013

Drawing the Line


So often, my grandfather, pops into my mind as a model to live by.  Though he may be painfully shy, largely anti-social, and relatively unadventurous at this point in his life, his character and principles that he lives by are what stand out to me as being important.   As I watch him do crosswords, or pull out the plugs from electric devices, I am fully engaged.  Without knowledge of much of our daily technological lives, he is content – and more admirably, content with not having – which is what inspires me most. 

He told us that the fridge was too full of food, after my grandmother said the towels that my mother bought were too big.  We just nod our heads agreeably and later search for those big fluffy towels that she has put away underneath all of the ancient shabby ones so that we can indulge ourselves in the luxurious terrycloth.

There is a right way to do everything.  There is also a wrong way – a stupid thought, careless technique and clumsy attempt.  Integrity comes from doing what you know is right, whether someone is watching you or not.  It comes from deciding the best way to react, do and be in a given situation, without hesitation, and standing up for what is good.  Knowing what is good is the challenge while not lowering standards or giving into careless acceptance.

When in doubt, I hope to remember my grandparents – content to do without, to say “no” and to not compromise.  This is a part of what living well means.  

No comments:

Post a Comment