Friday, October 19, 2018

I Vote for Fall!

Down By the Deschutes River Trail

It's that time of year again... voting!  Yes, people!  VOTE.

In Oregon, you receive a booklet in the mail that informs you of all the candidates and measures that will appear on your ballot.  We do not vote at polls, but rather, receive our ballot in the mail and can either drop it off at a location or send it in.  I imagine it's because Oregon is such a freakin' huge state that it makes it easier for people to vote out in the middle of nowhere.

I really appreciate this booklet, however, it is difficult to sit down and make sense of some of the issues.  This makes me think that democracy may not be the greatest system - who am I to decide whether we should amend the constitution regarding the government's ability to tax groceries or not?  I am not nearly knowledgeable enough of all the intended and unintended consequences on this decision.  And that's just one of them.

The booklet includes arguments in favor and opposition, so that you can maybe get a better sense of what is going on.  It also includes descriptions of candidates that they have written and sent in.  While reading them, I tired to imagine what I would think about their descriptions without looking at which political party they're affiliated with.

The thing is, gosh, every decision comes with consequences.  I guess I just want to vote for some smart people to do the work for me, please.

I remember learning about Kurt Hahn and John Dewey and their different takes on democracy.  Kurt Hahn was coming out of WWII and believed you couldn't trust people to vote in a democracy due to propaganda.  He was Jewish and experienced the effects of a government going haywire by the votes of the people, having to flea to England.  He believed that the best way was to have the educated, wealthy, elite make the decisions as they may be more knowledgeable than the vulnerable everyday person easily taken in.  John Dewey, on the other hand, believed that everybody needs to be properly educated so that they can become a responsible citizen.  Things to think about.

Now get on out there and be a wicked smart voter.


Dillon Falls

The Lovely Deschutes

Aqua Love

Lavaaaa

Fuzzy Branches

Fluff is in the Air

Those Aspens

Those Aspens 2

Rainbow Aspen

Prehistoric



No comments:

Post a Comment