Monday, October 17, 2016

Because, Pumpkins


Puppy and the Rain


I've been a little hooked on Regina Spektor's new album, Remember Us to Life, and the song Seller of Flowers is one of my favorites (maybe give her the peace prize next time?). It keeps getting stuck in my head, especially since it seems appropriate for this time of year...

'Cause winters coming, soon after summer
It runs faster, faster, chasing off autumn
We go from a warm sun to only a white sun
We go from a large sun to only a small one

When I was a small girl, I walked through the market
Holding my dad's hand, mitten-gloved hand
That night there were roses, lit up in glass boxes
The heat lamps would keep them from freezing in winter

We never bought them but somebody must have
Maybe they made it or maybe they froze up
Before any person had put them in water
And hoped that they'd still be alive by the morning

Who's the winner
Not the roses, not the buyers, not the sellers,
Not the tellers, of the stories,
Not the fathers, not their children,
Not those walking on a dark night,
Through a memory they're forgetting,
Who's the winner, who's the winner
Maybe winter, maybe winter

We walked through the rain and the sage recently at the Good Dog Park.  The rain turned out to be deceptively light and after walking for 30 minutes, our jackets, pants, and hair, were carrying quite a number of droplets.  It felt nice though.  It's so dry out here, your own body feels ready to absorb as much water as it can get when it comes.  Similar to when I was a camp counselor - or camper - and we washed our hair in the rain if a good rainstorm came through, standing underneath the gutters of our cabin for a good rinse.  There's a somewhat famous quote - by Bob Marley? - which states, "Some feel the rain, other's just get wet."  This day, we were totally feeling the rain.  

Who's the winner, who's the winner
Maybe rainstorms, maybe rainstorms


Sage and the Rain

I do love the smell of the pine, sage, and juniper after a solid rain.  The scents hang in the air, particularly the pine.  The air feels thick, reminiscent of the East Coast, or even that forever-rainy Oregon valley.  


Explosive Orange


Wet Dog Getting Wetter


Water on Water


Red

I have to say, the Fall in Bend pales in comparison to New England (who's the winner).  You will find strips of trees turning a raging yellow and will find some red as well, but it is not nearly found in the same density as New England.  I think this is the first time I've felt nostalgic about New England since I've been here.  Where is my pumpkin beer?  Where are the pumpkin spice lattes?  Where is the apple picking? Again, you can find it here - just not in the same density/in-your-face-everywhere.  I wouldn't mind going back to the North Shore to Russell Orchards for some apple picking, cider doughnuts, or a pumpkin muffin.  Where is my sunny Fall hayride?


Leaves Over Rocks


Pumpkin on Pumpkin


I pumpkin-overdosed above: pumpkin latte and pumpkin pie.  


Immersion Brewing

As we say in Bend, all good things end in a brewery.  Nope, that's not true - no one says that.  Some other quotes that I like to keep in mind are always carry a growler and always bring a layer - even in the summer.   It is true that Bend is full of breweries.  Going back to New England's superior Fall, there seems to be a slight anti-pumpkin movement in Bend as well, which I feel holds it back from truly embracing the specialties of the season.  Deschutes brewery has a hastag #saynotopumpkin - what?!  Come on, Bend.  So one of my personal tasks has been to discover where the pumpkin beer is and to consume it.  So far I've found two spots and have heard of a third.  It's also not easy to find it bottled.  I've found two brands of pumpkin beer in the store.  It's just not a big thing here I suppose.... which is okay (?).   As much as I'm not even obsessed with pumpkin beer typically, now I am just because I feel it is a basic Fall right that everyone should be able to access these seasonal beverages.  Put down the IPAs people!


Jack/Jackie Lanterns


Yes, we are ready for this season of dark and light.  There was a satiric article I read awhile ago noting newsworthy destructive acts that white kids have done which are not portrayed by the media as being reflective of "white culture" as happens to other racial groups.  The article had real video footage of white kids destroying public property, storefronts, rioting, and had a commentator talking about how the "white community" will respond or not respond - and about the "future of white males."  One of these acts was a pumpkin fest at a New Hampshire college which had turned into a full on riot and the caption below the video stated, "Because, Pumpkins."  Pumpkins are pretty exciting.  I can't help but think about how that commentary relates to this election season and just how much destruction can one person get away with?  Because, .... ?

Who's the winner, who's the winner

Going back to feeling the rain and smelling the smells, let's not ever just get wet.




No comments:

Post a Comment