Friday, July 1, 2016

The Pool Boy

I'm not sure how this nickname came about... but this is how my Dad refers to Kevin: the pool boy.  We do not have a pool.  Since my brother never gave a best man speech - and unfortunately probably has the best stories to tell - perhaps this can serve as something.  I've known Kevin since he was probably around age 6 or so.  But the first time I remember laughing with Kevin, was sitting in his Mom's car or maybe it was Mrs. Ackerman's car, looking through tapes.  It was not uncommon to sit in the car in the church parking lot before our Moms came out ready to drive us home.  I was probably in middle school or so - can't remember.  We came across some kind of emotional/empowerment/encouraging tape that was entitled "Heart to Heart."  I believe we played it, but I can't even remember what it was about.  We just thought it was really funny - in the same vein as Stuart Smalley and his "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and dog gone it, people like me."  To this day we still refer to each other as "heart to heart sistas" or some variation of that.  One of my favorite Facebook posts from Kevin - back when people used to post personal/funny things - was this one from May 13, 2011 after he graduated college:


There are so many funny/my-face-hurts moments, stories, and photos, that I have shared with Kevin - and Alan.  Kevin sent me 2 Kenny G CDs for my birthday one year.  He, my brother, and I have spent a couple New Years together - I remember one year we were discussing what the saddest songs ever are ("Brick" Ben Folds Five).  We had a Sufjan Stevens dance party one time in Alan's room.  While I was away at college, the two of them created a couple DVDs with a morning show called "Warm Ice Cream in the Morning" along with other sketches which they sent to me.  I found these in my basement recently and re-watched them at Christmas.  Kevin has spent Christmas with us and visited our family in Scotland with Alan and my Mom.  He is more than a pool boy - he is part of our family.

It is with all that, that I say, welcome to the family, Danielle.  I had a great time photographing your wedding and making ya'll stand out there in the hot sticky Monroe heat.  Cheers to you both!

(Oh - and here's a little Kenny G as a soundtrack for these photos)










































***


No comments:

Post a Comment