Thursday, November 12, 2015

Crazy Maisy



I'm not really a dog person.  I think someone told me that once:

"I see you as a cat person."

It's true.  I am.  Absolutely.  However, I have been spending my lazy graduate school days with a dog; by the name of Maisy.

I'm not really the throw-the-ball type of owner.  I'm more of the attach-you-to-a-leash-if-you-bother-me type of owner.  I feel no guilt.

I like to think Maisy respects me for this.  I think she has realized that her pleas go nowhere.  She relinquishes herself to the couch and rests all day until the fun owners come home.  Then she pounces on them and begs them to play with her.

That being said, I like to think that we're closer because of it.  I heard once that "boundaries are connections".  I can't remember who said it.  I feel this way with Maisy.  My boundaries are also my connections with her.  When I decide to throw the ball with her, it means something.

I believe she understands me now.  She has learned to accept her restful fate on the couch and carefully chooses her moments to ask to go play.  She knows me.

And isn't that the most we could all ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment