Friday, May 8, 2015

Minneapolis

The Spring Hallways of Minneapolis

As I drove through Wisconsin, I happened to be listening to two episodes of This American Life that took place in this part of the country: Not It! and Cops See It Differently, Part One.  I had forgotten that the show is actually based out of Chicago.  Not It! investigated the influx of Puerto Ricans curiously sent from their government to Chicago with a promise of drug treatment.  Another episode talked about Kankakee, IL being crowned the worst city of America back in the 90s and how David Letterman sent them two gifts of Gazebos as a joke to revive the city.  Citizens now have rallied to tear them down and turn them into a Rocking Chair to bestow on him for his retirement.

Cops See It Differently, Part One investigated relationships between cops of Milwaukee and their residents.  I listened to this after a Fresh Air episode where Terry interviews an NYPD cop who just published a book about being "On the Job".  Now, I just have to upload Cops See It Differently, Part Two for my drive to Omaha.

Growing up on the East Coast, I think sometimes there's this notion that nothing else exists beyond it except for tumble weeds.  Lots of tumble weeds.  What's in Iowa?  Who lives in Nebraska?  Aren't there only Lamas in Idaho?  I did my state report on New Mexico in elementary school because my best friend had just moved there after 4th grade.  I pictured her living in a desert amongst the cacti.

Then you drive out to these places and realize... there's people out here!

Minneapolis is strikingly green.  It's my fourth time visiting my friend here.  Every time I come, she's at some new phase in her life: boyfriend -> husband -> pregnancy &... baby!  I rearranged my route just so I could meet the little sun spot.  He's a cuddler, so it was worth it.  Sitting on the back porch, we could smell all the lilacs in bloom next door as heat lightning lit up the clouds above us.

Everything is quickly becoming drenched in summer.

Today I'll be passing through two new states: Iowa and Nebraska.  Check, check!

No comments:

Post a Comment