Saturday, August 24, 2013

Back to School and My 32 New Best Friends

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

- Lewis Carroll

I regret not holding my lunch box picture-side-out.
"So are you excited yet???!!!" one of the Chi Omega sorority girls asked me, bouncing down the stairs from moving some of her boxes up there.  

There was a small pause, as I wanted to respond with as much energy but knew my personality would only be able to muster a snail paced, "Yeah!.... Sure." 

I probably shouldn't have added the "sure", but there it was.  

I am excited, in my own way, and I know that my 25 year old brother has called this new job, "A dream come true."  I'm the new Housemother, as they say, though I find Housing Director to sound a little more professional - in the same way that "rabbit" sounds more respectable than "bunny".  I'm more of a rabbit, though I wonder if I come off as more of a bunny?  

So far, my most exciting moment has been finding food in the kitchen, that I can eat, which I didn't have to go out and buy myself.  In the early AM yesterday I was heading out to the ropes course, already having resigned myself to just having my coffee and Kefir, as I hadn't bought anything in the way of breakfast food (bummer) when lo and behold - the cereal containers had already been filled up by the cook - and granola!  Could it be?  Food that I can eat that is not mine and not my roommate's but completely available for the taking??

Not only that, but I came home to homemade chocolate chip cookies that had magically appeared in the cookie jar while I had been facilitating.  The availability of them could actually turn into a danger if I don't limit myself daily.  What is more, the cook can even SAVE meals for me by wrapping them up in the fridge for days when I'm at class during dinner.  My mom didn't even have chocolate chip cookies waiting for me when I came home from school.  I am thrilled.  

As for the girls, I kind of want to facilitate some games from the ropes course with them, curious to see who they are and how they play.  I have a few expectations: friendly, peppy, pretty, long-haired, excitable, energetic, and loud.  I imagine lots of hair drying and stomping around upstairs.  Hopefully they'll afford me funny stories to tell along with some kumbaya bonding moments, even though I'm not allowed to attend their secret ceremonies in the basement.  There's a usable fireplace and a piano in this large house with sophisticated couches and chairs.  I anticipate warming fires in the winter time and wish I played the piano.  Maybe someone else does, or maybe now is the time to finally take those lessons.

As for school, I'm glad to be stepping out of the workforce for a bit.  See ya!  I'm hoping I can learn how to reed and rite again.  Teaching English began to erode and break my own.  Being out of academics has caused my brain to be watered down by alcohol and mere soundbites of information without spending time studying anything in depth.  

"Is she here?"
"I don't think so..."

I overheard this along with footsteps headed for the door to my little apartment, followed by four girls popping their heads in my door, bright eyed and bubbling, "Hi!!!" - all saying their names and introducing themselves.  Their energy reminds me of my 16 year old self with my camp friends, explosively laughing and giggling over inside jokes all through the summer that only we were apart of.  The good things is, I think that energy is a little contagious. 

Time to meet my 32 new best friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment