Saturday, January 15, 2011

El Sol Sonrie Radiante

The sun smiles brightly
Las nubes muevan lentamente
The clouds move slowly
Las montañas son más grandes que los árboles
The mountains are greater than the trees
Hoy es más bello que ayer
Today is more beautiful than yesterday
José Luís es muy cariñoso
José Luís is very affectionate
Hoy aprendí adjetivos lo mismo
Today I learned about adjectives myself

Besides my accelerated language acquisition, I have also been playing with little kids and babies.

The toddlers walk around like little philosophers of the swings and the outdoor toys. Mateo wears a yellow knitted vest and grayish green corduroys, his eyes deep brown crevices atop his cheekbones. Lucas’s cheeks weigh down both sides of his face and he easily moves the white metal crib and climbs up the sides. Aissiata wears a watermelon jacket and neon pink sneakers protect her feet. Felipe is bundled in an aqua cotton jacket, his hoodie covering his head tightly, a cartoon character stitched on the front.

I know at night, while contemplating human nature, their squealing and laughter bonds them even closer.

If there were a child that I would adopt, I’d be tempted to take home Jose Luís. Even when Rosa rushes to push him over, he never cries. Slowly he rises again, and grins. This extends to open his mouth for a contained squeal and then a bit of gurgling from the back of his throat. I would love to witness his first words.

Necesito que uses tus piernas, José…
I need you to use your legs, José…
Vamos a subir! Sube sube!

We are going to go up! Go up! Go up!

Only a year ago was relying on a wheel chair, now he can run around the yard. His knee and elbow pads that he was given for Christmas are comical to me, along with his baby blue glasses that he constantly yanks off his head. When I see him running towards me, grinning madly and gearing up his throat for words which never come, endearment floods me. Sometimes he quietly curls up next to me, or sits on his knees staring at me as he slowly loses his balance and falls back. I had him hold a baby doll the other day, which he so sweetly and thoughtfully stroked and kissed in his arms.

All of the children here are taken care of so well. Their caretakers (“Tías” = Aunts) switch off duty every few days in their color coded teams (green, blue and red). They provide a healthy diet and take notes on each child’s development, which are filed by the Social Worker. Some children were picked up at hospitals, others were found wandering. In order for a child to stay here, they must be parent-less for at least a year. This means that the parents have proven that they cannot take care of them, are missing, or have given up.

Orphanages no longer exist in the US. They were replaced by the Foster Care system a few decades ago. I must say though, these children are blooming within these walls. Moreover, when adopted they will come with thick files of their growing up, along with a scrapbook of pictures from along the way. They will have been educated by some of the best teachers, and been taken care of by the best doctors… not to mention the volunteers that have helped along the way.

Last night, Jen and I found ourselves dancing in a nursery with four little philosophers, not to mention playing hide and seek as they ran around the room. These kids are some of the cutest, most seriously playful little persons that I have ever been around. Their photographs alone make me grin almost as wide as Jose Luís.

Los niños juegan feliz y cariñosamente.

The children play happily and affectionately.

Maybe I’ll just have to pack some when I leave….

No comments:

Post a Comment